Your Energy Bill

If you purchase energy from a natural gas or electric utility, you will be charged for the energy you use. Most utilities will bill the customer each month. You are obligated to pay the utility bill or you may face having your energy turned off.

However, sometimes the bills may be larger than you anticipated, the price of energy has gone up, or other circumstances have left you short. There are programs available - mostly for low-income families - that can assist you.

Please click the areas on the right for more information.

Note: The California Energy Commission does not handle disputes or problems with your bill or your utility company. To make a complaint about your bill or utility company, visit the California Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Branch. You can also contact the PUC by phone at: 1-800-649-7570 in English or en Español.

Consumer Advocacy Groups

CALPIRG - California Public Interest Research Group
1107 9th St. Suite 601
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone 916-448-4516
Web site:

TURN, The Utilities Reform Network
711 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 350
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-929-8876
Web site:

UCAN - Utility Consumers Action Network
1717 Kettner Blvd., Suite 105
San Diego, CA 92101-2532
Phone: 619-696-6966
Web site: